Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 2: Create a character with personality traits of someone you love, but the physical characteristics of someone you don’t care for.

I wrote this based on the idea that I was catching up with my high school friend over brunch.

"Hey, do you remember Smith Kim?" I asked Alex as he sipped on his piping hot tea.  I always loved our monthly ritual of having brunch and catching up.

"Smith Black... sounds familiar. Did we go to high school with him or something?"

"Yeah! He's the one that people voted as 'Most Likely to Be on Reality TV'. He's the taller stocky Korean guy that dressed like a hipster."

"Uh, we had a few of those... any more details?"

"Hmm... Well, he wore these thick rimmed glasses that were actually somewhat stylish, as opposed to nerdy. Sometimes he'd like to wear hats but the teachers always made him take them off."

"Oh yeah, I remember him! I don't think I had any classes with him."

"I had Spanish with him," I replied. "He was such a brilliant guy; so charismatic and had so many cool ideas. He was really sweet, too. I remember he used to take Julia home from school because she lived down the street from him. And he used to help his grandma bake cookies in her shop after school."

"What about him?" Alex asked.

"I've been getting all these Facebook requests since our reunion is coming up and I got one from him. We didn't talk much in high school, but we've been catching up over the last few weeks."

"Anything good since we graduated?"

"Seems like he's been doing well. He's married now with a few kids. He turned a few of his ideas into commercial products. You ever hear of 'OnTap'? It's an app that lets you log all the different beers you've had and rate them. Bars are able to buy the information to see what their customers like and make sure they have good stuff handy."

"Why am I not surprised? From what I remember, I knew he'd be a drinker." Alex chuckled.

"Yeah, he was a bit of a partier, but at least it looks like he was able to cultivate it into something that works! I hear he's working on a few other things and has several backers too! He and his wife have also been volunteering at the homeless shelters."

No comments:

Post a Comment